Adolescence is a time of change.Students are developing biologically, cognitively (mentally), and socially.
During this period of growth and change, students learn to think about how they think. This is called metacognition. Because young adults are able to think about their thoughts, they can monitor their own learning processes. They can use strategies for remembering and problem solving and find methods of studying that work best for them personally.
It is also during this time that the ability to pay attention and memory abilities increase. Both of these are important in order to study effectively.
Finally, students see changes in organizational strategies. This is related to cognition. By knowing how they think and learn, students can plan and strategize their study sessions to meet their personal style and needs.
As an teenager grows and changes, their study habits need to develop as well. This site will offer some tips and strategies that students might find helpful.
Maryellen Weimer's list of seven characteristics of good learners.
THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A GOOD LANGUAGE LEARNER
1. Good language learners find a style of learning that suits them.
2. Good language learners are actively involved in the language learning process.
3. Good language learners try to figure out how the language works.
4. Good language learners know that language is used to communicate.
5. Good language learners are like good detectives. They are always looking for clues that will help them understand how the language works. They ask questions, seek help, record what they have learned, and monitor themselves.
6. Good language learners learn to think in the language.
7. Good language learners realize that language learning is not easy.
8. Good language learners are also good culture learners aware of the
very close relationship between language and culture.
9. Good language learners have a long term commitment to language
learning. They are realistic in realising that it takes time and practice.
Read the original document downloaded from montgomeryschoolsmd.org
Secrets to Success (How to Study a Foreign Language)- A resource I put together in college to help students with general and Foreign Language study skills.